Challenges for wine tourism
- Lack of product identity
- A limited supply of diversified and sophisticated enotourism
- Lack of signage and connectivity problems
- Low development and certification of human capital associated with the industry
- Lack of knowledge of the wine tourist profile
- Absence of promotional and commercial strategies in enotourism
- Difficulties with the commercialization
- Lack of a Business Intelligence System
- Unawareness of the sustainability applied to enotourism
- Low market levels of quality and sustainability
- Low levels of association within the sector
- Lack of public-private coordination and of inter-regional synergy
Lines of Work
Incorporation of Wine Tourism Destinations. ENOTURISMO CHILE will seek to develop integrated, sustainable, and connected enotourism destinations in a network as a necessary environment to bring an increased competitiveness to wine tourism products, and in consequence, to the companies that participate in the value chain.
Diversify the Experience. Work on the development of wine tourism products surrounding other tourism experiences and specific resources belonging to each enotourism destination, allowing a closer connection to the territory.
Market. Address the market in a competitive and globalized environment, where tourists are more informed and demanding, making it necessary and urgent to establish a more collaborative and efficient public-private alliance, increasing the efforts in promotion, improving and broadening the communication channels, and implementing systems that will allow the process of monitoring opinions, tastes, and preferences of the current and potential tourists, as well as the impact of the program within the industry.
Development and Management of Wine Tourism products for Chile
Increase the levels of innovation, quality and sophistication of the Chilean enotourism product as a key factor to elevate the competitiveness and give it a greater added value, applied to the 3 areas that define the wine tourism experience. Some of the measures to be applied:
- Define the Narrative on Chile, Country of Wine and Enotourism
- Create support plans that will structure, develop and sophisticate wine tourism products
- Define programs that will create, strengthen and consolidate the companies in the area of enotourism
- Elaborate programs to attract investments in wine tourism areas and destinations
State of Progress:
- The Strategic Positioning of Enotourism in Chile is in a Bidding Process: focused on the domestic market. Considers: the definition and structure of the narrative based on enotourism in Chile with elements that differentiate each valley; Creative concept and media plans.
- Development of regional workshops in the macro-area to define the narrative based on the elements that differentiate each territory.
An Infrastructure Master Plan for Enotourism
Work collaboratively with the Ministry of Public Works, Regional Governments, Municipalities, and companies of the sector in an Infrastructure Plan supporting Enotourism (scenic routes, signage, highways, etc.), allowing the valleys in which this will be developed to be recognized as a whole, by means of a standardization that integrates them, respecting their own local characteristics. It considers developing investments in the area of rural and urban signage.
State of Progress:
- Incorporation of Enotourism as a prioritized element in the public investments of the Strategic Mesoregion Program (PEM) macro-area.
- Joint agreement with the Subsecretary of Tourism, the Ministry of Public Works (MOP), and the executing team in the analysis and prioritization of the MOP 30/30 project portfolio, based on the specific needs of development in the wine valleys. This analysis will be validated and prioritized in the valleys with the different industry actors. Deadline: August 2018.
A Strategic Marketing and Commercialization Plan for Enotourism
The main idea is to develop a marketing and commercialization plan, accompanied by a commercialization system for enotourism, allowing more efficiency and the capability of integrating each and every one of the actors present in the commercial chain through a system that will permit them to participate within the different roles and services they provide. Among the actions to put into practice:
- Marketing Plan for Enotourism, both locally and internationally, coordinated between all entities involved.
- Develop a system of technological intelligence to gather strategic information on market demand and trends, while supporting the diffusion and commercialization through the usage of different tools.
State of Progress:
- Chile will host the 4th World Conference on Wine Tourism during 2019.
- The headquarters selection process has initiated, with the active participation of all valleys.
- Constitution of the Promotional Management Committee.
Support Program for Sustainability and Quality
The measure has as its main objectives:
- Increase levels of sustainability in wine regions: improve the energy efficiency and the sustainability of wine tourism facilities to consolidate a quality offer of sustainable enotourism; increase the number of wineries with sustainability certification seals, diffuse and socialize the benefits of sustainability with the implementation of good practices through clean production agreements.
State of Progress:
- Constitution of the Management Committee for Sustainability
- Formal agreement on behalf of Wines of Chile and its Technological Association to develop the Wine Tourism standards as the fourth section of the Code of Sustainability of Wines of Chile.
Wine Routes of Chile Seal Program
Define a seal with the requirements with which those territories have to meet in order to be acknowledgement as a “Wine Route”, requirements that should be incorporated by all existent routes, in order to be accredited under this denomination.